Tuesday, August 7, 2012

August 7, 2012: The Whole Coop



Sorry to be late in posting.  Spent the morning finishing the decoration on the coop and putting it together.

The coop is done, complete with flower box, window trim, tiny jeweled chicken decoration,  and lots of love.  I love it, and can't wait for the girls to see it. 

In a few short weeks we have gone from " gee I'd love to have me some chickens " to  full blown two story designer coop gracing our back yard.   5 weeks until chicken time. 

As you can see it was a prefab coop, and arrived in 4 days.  We contemplated building our own, but frankly I wanted it during the year 2012, so........

All tolled we've invested about $300 in chicken related materials.  We figure another $40.00 for three chickens, and then about $15/month for food.  That's cheaper than our dog and she doesn't lay eggs.  However she is the smartest, sweetest, cutest little dog ever born and gives unconditional love routinely, so that's easily as valuable.

She was very interested in the coop while we were putting it together, probably thinking it was a spiffy new crate for her.  We did not let her in to explore it as it is chicken-living territory.  Don't want her" laying" claim to  it.

Now that we can see the interior dimensions of the coop we can get the right size feeder and watering apparatus.  Then wood shavings and straw for the laying boxes and Presto, pets with benefits is launched.

Am I nuts to feel so happy and excited about getting a few chickens?  Nutso I may be, but how can feeling happy be bad.  Those little feathered females have a lot to teach me and I have a place in my heart all ready for them.

Now I need a nap.  Clucks away!


No comments:

Post a Comment