Tuesday, August 21, 2012

August 21, 2012: Chickens Can "Grow" On You.

OK, so up until last night the plan has been to get two maybe three hens.  As you can see, our darling little coop will only hold 2-3 comfortably.  Lying in bed last night talking "chickens", my darling husband said: " ya know I've been thinking about how we could turn our west side yard into a larger chicken coop area".

My response "  WHA?" 

When did Cal become a fellow chicken wrangler?  I mean he has supported my idea to get city chickens.  He's read about chickens.  We assembled the coop together and he built me my flower box for the nesting area window.  But so far he has not expressed any desire to fuzzel, cuddle, hold or pet a chicken.  I have seen this as my project, which he is in favor of, but certainly more for the eggs than the girls themselves.

Has my husband, who until we married never even had an inside dog, fallen in love with chickens too?

I mean he did adjust to having my dog Lucky ( now waiting for me in heaven ) sleep on the bed with us, and I caught him kissing and cuddling Lucky.  With our new dog, Annie, he is plays what I call 'bite and fight"on the bed at night with her, and I have awakened to find him with his arm around her, or kissing her sweet little head.  So clearly he has come to love our animals. 

Now he is suggesting getting more than 2-3 chickens, I believe he mentioned 6 chickens.  And he wants to name one of them Henrietta.  Is this like Field of Dreams?  Build it and they will come?  I think he is coming to see the simple beauty of chickens.  I am so happy!  Welcome to my world honey.

2 chickens? 6 chickens? The more the merrier!  And one will definitely be named Henrietta.

No comments:

Post a Comment