Monday, August 20, 2012

August 20 2012: Chickens on Your Shoulders!

We were just skyping on Facebook with our beautiful daughter Kristine when the conversation turned to chickens. That happens a lot lately.  Turns out she has a friend who has Buff Orpington hens, one of the breeds we are considering.

These little girls are so friendly that they actually sit on their human Mommy's shoulder and cluck to her.  They are gentle, and loving little things, and of course there are the egg, bug eating, and yard fertilizing benefits as well.  Kristine sent me the cutest pictures of some little girls, and of a very interested pet cat, examining a carton of chicks. 

MargeMabel
Chicken on the right:  "What did you mean by that remark, Marge?" 
Chicken on the left:  " Mabel, you are so sensitive.  I feel like I have to walk on egg shells around you".

Today on his walk with Annie our dog, Cal stopped to talk to a neighbor who, turns out, has 6 chickens in hiss yard.  He raised them from chicks and now they like to sit in his lap and be petted, and talk to him.  He says he get about 5 eggs a day.  Those are some happy hens.  He must fuzzel them alot.

I am seeing how chickens can bring folks together by providing a simple joyous subject to talk about, a few minutes away from the strife in the world.  I see myself strolling around the back yard with a little hen on my shoulder chatting with me about her day.

Thank you Kristine for adding to my chicken delight!

No comments:

Post a Comment