Friday, August 24, 2012

August 24. 2012: If Tori Spelling Can Do It So Can I.

Tori Spelling with her chicken, Coco

Yesterday I told my friend Barbara about my chicken adventure.  Was I surprised to learn from her that there are even famous ( or semi-famous) chicken wranglers out there. I thought Barbara was delirious, having just had surgery, but apparently actress Tori Spelling has a pet chicken named Coco she even dresses in matching dresses, and carries around with her.  I was delighted to see her holding Coco like a treasured per versus an inanimate object.  More later.

The very first time I tried to hold a chicken I realized that they do not want to be picked up or held by a stranger. So they run like hell.  They are lot faster and more agile than I. 

Finally I did corner the little girl and with coaching from the chicken keeper I was visiting, I gently picked her up.  I talked to her quietly the whole time, and she settled right into my arms.  She did not try to peck or scratch me.  But I learned two valuable lessons related both to life in general and chickens in particular.

1.  In  life, perhaps the things we chase after so hard to try to catch,  are not ready or willing to be caught.  Maybe we need to try a different approach, or pick a more willing goal.

2.  Chickens want to get to know you before they will be your friend and let you hold them.  Like people some breeds are by nature more docile, and even friendly.  They still want to feel safe with you before they stop running and let you pick them up. 

How you approach the chicken is also important for backyard chicken wranglers. What is your attitude towards your chickens?  If like me, you see them as darling little things that you want to pet and hold, your approach is going to be different than if you see them as a means to an end. i.e eggs. 

I read an article on the "proper" method of holding you chicken which really turned me off.  I guess if you have dozens of chickens it made sense, but for me, with a few girls, it was very cold, no fuzzeling at all.

I do not want to hold my chicken like a sack of flour, facing backwards under my arm.  I don't like travelling  backwards.  I want to see what's ahead.  That makes me feel more secure, and I bet it's the same way for chickens.  I may even be OK with one of the girls pretending to be a hat.

No comments:

Post a Comment