Saturday, August 18, 2012

August 18, 2012: Chicken Lovers Unite

Today I read an item in the Chicken Keepers Newsletter that just warmed my heart.  A lady from Australia talked about her feelings for the two little hens that run around her yard.  She described one of her little hens laying her first egg, and how the older hen stood by to lend a "hand" and moral support.  It was so sweet and she clearly loves her little girls.

More and more I am discovering that chicken wranglers are a bunch of like minded folk who see the simple dignity and beauty of chickens.  Not so much those noisy roosters, but then they have their own thing going on. 

For example, last week we ate breakfast at Perkos ( did I mention they have a great senior menu?  Lame I know, but what can I say).  Saw a little black hen with 8 chicks following behind her.  I raced  to get a picture, but she shooed them into the bushes and then turned to face me, clucking a warning to leave "dem babies" alone.  What a good mom.  It was then I saw how dignified and brave that little hen was.  Not too different from mother's everywhere I think.  Almost immediately another little tan hen ran across the street to provide suspport for the Mommy.  Here she is clucking loudly at me:

The rooster stood about 10 yards away crowing like a fool, but never coming any closer.  What a chicken!

Anyway I think being a chicken wrangler is just another way of saying chicken lover.  I am one, and I am in good company with millions of people all over the world.



No comments:

Post a Comment