Wednesday, August 1, 2012

August 1, 2012- The Coop on the Stoop.

Yahoo!  The chicken coop arrived today.  Well the box with the various pieces of the coop showed up.
My husband is so excited about getting the coop together.  It is a really cute two story all enclosed chicken home.  There is a sweet little window in the actual coop area, and Cal is going to build me a tiny little window box so I can add some small potted plants ( probably plastic as I am not known for my green thumb).  I want the girls to be cozy.   

Looks like that it could  used a sealant, even though it says that has already been done.  It is also portable, so we can move it around the yard to allow the girls to freely fertilize the entire lawn.  I do want to be able to see it from the living room windows and dining room slider.  Somehow seeing that chicken haven out back fills me with an "alls right with the world" feeling. 

Next we will be purchasing the feeder/waterer component, wood shavings for the laying area, and feed.  I may not be able to hold out until September to get the girls.  I definitely want at least one Araucana. 
And maybe a Wayandotte, and a Ameraucana.  That will give us three good starter chickens, blue and turquoise and white eggs.  We'll have to see. 

The closer we get to fruition the more I feel like this is exactly the right thing for me to be doing.  Why chickens, why now?  I guess once a caregiver, always a caregiver.  Also as I mentioned in one of my earlier posts, I really loved working with and training my Rat, and Annie our dog.  Or maybe they trained me, either way it was cool. 


I'm attaching a couple of pictures of the coop's arrival, and another type of chicken, a Sussex.  They are another good starter breed, but with brown eggs.  SO MANY BREEDS, SUCH A SMALL COOP!

1 comment:

  1. So many chickens, so little space and time. Maybe there is a ranch you can volunteer at so you can experience them all....LOL...love that you are doing this.

    ReplyDelete