Saturday, August 25, 2012

August 25, 2012: Celebrity Chicken Wranglers

Yesterdays post got me thinking about what other celebrities might have chickens.  Tori Spelling can not be the only one, and she is not the only one to dress up her pet chicken.



So I hit the Internet for some info.  Here's what I learned:

Barbara Striesand and Julia Roberts both have chickens running free on their properties.  Alton Brown and John Cleese also have chickens. John even has a blog showing his chickens coming in the house.  So do Martha Stewart, Jerry Hall, Jennifer Aniston and British actress Joanne Lumley ( remember Absolutely Fabulous?  I loved that show, She played Patsy.).

I also learned that England has gone nuts over pet chickens.  So this isn't just about us nutty Californians.  What we call backyard chickens the British call garden chickens, but essentially they are chickens being raised and cared for in urban settings. 

I learned that you can train a chicken to use a cat box to go poop, and that many people have chickens as house pets. I've had to broaden my perspective! 

I also learned that there are tons of websites about urban chickens, videos on You Tube, and chicken newsletters you can join.  I just joined another one, BackYard Chickens.  I think that's good way to learn about what other people have done, what pitfalls to avoid, etc.

Meanwhile, this morning my book club met here before going out for our meeting.  Everyone wanted to see the coop!  Renee made me promise to have an open house when the girls arrive.  Perhaps a "Coming Out Party" like the debutantes?

Only three more weeks to chicken lift off. 

                                                              Little Red Riding Chicken.

No comments:

Post a Comment