Thursday, November 8, 2012

Novmber 8, 2012: Chicken Wrangler Serious Moment

I feel compelled today to write about something that is on my mind and in my heart.  The girls are doing just fine, so I want to talk about something else. 

Our nation and the entire world is going through such a difficult time.  Here in America our economic crisis, political rhetoric and national disasters are played out before the world by a carnivorous Media that thrives on painting the worst picture of life it can. Honesty and integrity in the media has been lost to greed, hunger for power and political agendas.

I can do little about that except, cast my vote, and further withdraw support of any kind for entities and individuals who espouse the ideals that are contradicted by our Constitution.  I am not greedy, power hungry and have no political agenda other than to live my life as a good person.

What I really want to tell you about is my small community in Northern California. Like many small communities all over the world who reach out to those who truly need help every day..  Here is what we are like: 

During the cold winter months our churches participate the the REST Program ( Regional Emergency Shelter Team).  From December through March homeless people are cared for.

Through a local grass roots organization, we provide a warm safe place at each church in rotation, to sleep, give hot meals prepared by the church members, at their own cost, sleeping bags, transportation and other assistance for homeless women, children and families. 

My small Episcopal Church of 25 members made it our Mission to "Feed My Sheep"as God asked us to do, and put in a 11,000 square foot year round vegetable garden, which we plant, tend and harvest, and then deliver the produce free of charge to the local food banks, food closets, churches that provide meals, homeless shelters and the Salvation army.  Last year that totaled over 8,000 lbs. this year almost 6,000 lbs.  And we are not alone.

Our friend Jim, who is himself dealing with a health crisis, takes a small portable kitchen down where ever people are in need and cooks a hot meal for them, for free several times a week.  He often uses our vegetables to prepare these meals, sometimes the only nutritional meal they will have that day.

And just so you know the truth, there are not thousands of homeless people in our community, in fact there is enough housing available for every homeless person, there are enough food programs provided by non governmental agencies so that no one need go hungry.  For some, the choice is to live "rough" as they say.  Jim and others provide for those folks too.

We, just us, just the people, Me, Jim, Cal, Zelda, Rick, Pat, and hundreds of others reach out every day in some way to take care of our fellow man.

Local groups such as Rotary, Kiwanis, Soroptimist and Lions provide coats, blankets, eye glasses, rides to Dr's appts. help with utility bills, refurbish homes for the elderly, and do many other acts of kindness to numerous to mention. 

Everyday citizens, who are struggling them selves to deal with a depressed economy, reach out in hundreds of ways to extend caring hands, for nothing more than the privilege of helping others. 

My friend Fotine who owns a small local restaurant is doing a 'food drive to provide Thanksgiving meals for needy families.  And this is only one of the ways she reaches out, while struggling herself to deal with the economy.

What you may read or see sensationalized in the Media, where ever you may live, is not the truth of what goes on in my country.  Yes we have all the social ills of every other country in the world,  but we have something else. too.  In most people I see in my small community an inherent desire to help each other. not just write a check, really help. 

I think where ever you live, what ever country, that we all all more alike than different, when you get away from the politics and greed, out to the average person, we want to help each other however we can.

I am me, I live in a rural area, I love my country, I love my family, I have worked hard for every single thing I have, and have devoted my life to helping others first as an RN, and then as a Family Therapist.  I tell the truth and value my integrity more than anything.  I work for justice, yearn for peace in our world and pray every day to God the help me do the right thing.

I am your typical American citizen.  God bless you today and everyday.

No comments:

Post a Comment