Friday, November 2, 2012

Nov. 2nd, 2012: The Chickens Survived The Storm.

We hit the road for a wine tasting overnighter and left the girls alone in their coop and extension.  We had a hella rain and wind storm, and really battened down the hatches for them before we left.  I worried about them getting wet and being cold.  

Got home this afternoon and they were warm and dry and so happy to see us, running right to us.  Yes it was largely for scratch, but, after they had their treat they hung out around me as I read the paper out on the chaise lounge.  Very chatty little girls, apparently a lot happened while we were gone and they did not want me to miss out on anything. 

They took turns coming up next to me, looking me in the eye and talking.  Heads bobbing up and down, nodding, cooing, chittering, no clucking though.  My original goal was to do the NYTimes Crossword Puzzle from today's paper, with my favorite pen.  But I tell you it was so much more fun to chat with the girls.  Barbara did peck at my pinkie ring once, I think it was for leaving them cooped for over 24 hours, or, because it is sparkly. I continued to watch them cruise the yard, and they kept an eye on me too, running at full speed back next to me several times. 

Oh I forgot that Barbara gave us another egg during the night. Found it when we got home.  No blue eggs.  Mabel is approaching 23 weeks old so we should see something soon.  And she has forgiven me for the digital exam and sitz bath. 

Life is good here at the Chicken Wranglers.  Ciao Bellas.

No comments:

Post a Comment