Monday, November 12, 2012

November 12, 2012: Keeping Chickens Warm

Even though we are in California, it still gets cold in the winter.  I've been worried about the girls keeping warm.  Cal keeps reminding me that chickens are hardier than we think, and intellectually I know this, but.....It's cold out there! 

They get back into the coop on their own now in the evening, and are up bright and early wanting to get out and get their scratch.  Me, I'd run right back into the nice warm coop with the think layer of pine shavings.  Like getting back under the covers.  They do not do this.

I can assume they are not feeling the cold like I am, their water is not frozen, they have plenty of feed, though they eschew this in favor of foraging and scratch.

BUT, I think if it gets really cold and rains, I am going to put newspaper and shavings in our big dog carrier and bring them into the kitchen.  Cal says that if I do this they will never want to go outside again.  Probably true.  It's so toasty, sunny and warm in there. 

Next step, Chicken Sweaters.

No comments:

Post a Comment