Monday, November 19, 2012

November 19, 2012: Friend Wtnesses Seniors vs Chicken Races


Mabel



Our friend Linda came for a visit from the Sacramento area. She wanted to meet the girls so out we went to the back yard.  Oh the girls were so cute pecking around in the leaves that have fallen from our multiple trees.  Mable is almost the color of the leaves. 

I wanted to show Linda how sweet they were, as she had a bad chicken experience in the past.    So Cal and I demonstrated how two Senior Citizens can bob and weave with the best of them, and run like the wind ( almost, if it's a small wind) trying to grab a chicken to hold so Linda could pet it and see how gentle they are. 

We told her it was our form of aerobic exercise, cause I'll tell ya those girls can move.  We started laughing so hard seeing through our friends eyes how ridiculous we looked, trying to chase down about 9 lbs. of chicken on the run.

As is usual brains won over swift and wily, and we cornered the girls in the usual corner and were able to pick them up.  Linda got to pet Mabel as I held the little feathered girl in my arms.  I was sweating from the exertion.

Why do they run from us?  They know by now that we aren't going to hurt them.  It was embarrassing.

So this morning I go to let them out into the yard.  Barbara comes out and lets me pick her right up.  NO chasing, no sweating!  I said to her " why couldn't you have done this when Auntie Linda was here?  You made us chase you all over the damn yard.  We looked like we don't know what we're doing?"  She said " put me down " and ran off. 

No comments:

Post a Comment