Sunday, September 30, 2012

Sept. 30, 2012: Is it Fall Yet?

Yes it is the last day of September, but it is still over 90 degrees during the day.  I for one am sick of it.  Us humans can be pretty picky about our comfort.  It's too hot, it's too cold, it's too windy, and let' not even get me started on humidity. 

Chickens aren't so picky, they are pretty adaptable to extremes in climate, as long as they have a dry place, plenty of water and food.  There are tons of posts on the chicken keeping websites debating whether backyard chickens need  heaters in snowy cold climates, or fans in very hot weather.  They generate their own warmth huddled together in the coop, and know how to lay low ( pardon the pun) when it is too hot.

One thing I did learn was the need for coops to be well ventilated so that the bedding material in the nests area has a chance to dry out between changings.  I've learned all about bumble foot and hope to never see it, but I'm ready.

More importantly, I don't want my girls to suffer. I want them to be happy, healthy and sweet little egg laying feathered angels.

Meanwhile here is another little guessing game:  Which egg is the fresh laid egg, which is the store bought?  OK I know, it's obvious.
 
Lets make an omelette!

No comments:

Post a Comment