Tuesday, October 2, 2012

October 2, 2012: The Chickens Are Coming!!

Finally after 4 weeks of looking for a place to get our girls, we are picking them up next Wednesday!!  I was getting so disappointed thinking we'd never get our girls.  We had hoped to find them locally, but after multiple phone messages, and e-mails  produced limited to zero results.  We had to venture further afield.

Two months ago we visited the Poultry Palace Ranch in Shingle Springs, CA. ( poultrypalace.mybigcommerce.com ) while on our way up to the cabin.  The folks there were so nice, and helpful, even though we barged in without an appt.  That was where I got to hold my first chicken.  The man there taught me how, and the little girl just settled into my arms.  Their website is wonderful.

Talked to Susan up there today and we have our appt. to pick out our Ameraucana and either an Orpington or an Australorp.  They have such a great variety of hand raised chickens and the Ranch is only about 90 minutes from here.  Who knows, we may end up with a few more eventually. 

Our coop is set up, we have the feed, equipment, treats, and plenty of TLC ready for the girls. 

This adventure which started with my friend Zahra and her chickens, has been a true learning experience.  I think I may write a post about the 7 ( 10-20?)easy steps to getting backyard chickens. 

Will keep you posted.


No comments:

Post a Comment