Tuesday, October 30, 2012

October 30, 2012: Mabel is Fine.

All that anxiety, for us and for her, and she is fine, no egg yet, but doing great, eating, running around etc.  She however is very wary of me, the one who did the digital exam and soaked her hiney in water to try to relax her muscles and help her lay that first egg, which apparently does not yet exist. 

She looks at me funny and runs away, who wouldn't after that ordeal.  Hopefully she will forget those events, or at least know that mommy was trying to help.  I got some good advice, as posted on FB, from my Cousin Judi, which was basically, "chill out", she'll lay when she's good and ready.

Perhaps I should not have read so much about chicken health threats.  But I'm Italian, and in my famiglia we worry in advance, and always expect and prepare for the worst, so naturally seeing her in what looked like first egg pain made me run to the resources and instigate the treatment.

For fellow chicken lovers, not just chicken raisers, but those of us who love these sweet, funny, goofy feathered little things, we understand that these are God's creatures, our pets with benefits.
Other than scratch in the lawn and poop alot, they do no harm.  Their sweet little voices greeting me in the morning as they run to me, knowing that Mommy is gonna feed them some scratch, it so delightful.  Sitting with them, Cal and I each holding a little girl and having them fall asleep in our arms, is a peaceful experience.  Even Annie is getting used to having them share her yard, and is intensely interested  in their every move, but has not chased them in two days.

And then presto, every day or so we get a delicious little brown egg, the best I've ever tasted.  Gave several to Karen and John and even John ( a tough crowd ) said how much better they were.

Everyone have a blessed day, and say a prayer for those in the path of Hurricane Sandy.
The Chicken Wrangler signing off.


No comments:

Post a Comment