Tuesday, October 23, 2012

October 23. 2012: Cooped up all day and not liking it.

The girls weathered their first storm well with only a few grumbles about not being able to get out in the yard.  Barbara even laid another egg yesterday afternoon.  After the storm passed, we let them out for a bit, then held and talked to them for a few minutes.  Mabel seems to love this and likes to be held in my arms.  Barbara likes it too, but wants down sooner than Mabel.

No eggs from Mable yet and she is just about 6 months old, so hopefully she will start laying any day. 

This morning I let them out, then went back to make the bed.  I opened the drapes to find Mabel standing looking in at me, like, whatcha doin?  She stood and watched me carefully, very interested in each simple action of bed making.   It feels wonderful to have someone fascinated by your every move.  Like I'm the greatest thing since sliced bread, or corn scratch in the girls case.

They spend lots of time looking in the sliding doors.  While sitting on the couch last week, alone at home, I distinctly felt that I was not alone, and was being watched.  Kinda creepy until I looked towards the door and found two chickens sitting on the door mat by the door both looking intently at me.  What are they trying to tell me?  More Scratch Mama...or perhaps another delicious tomato please....or no more bananas, yuck......?   Are they trying to communicate by brain waves?  Nothing can stare at you like a chicken, I'll tell ya.

BTW our first winter storm brought tornado's which touched down just south of us and tore up the little 9 hole golf course pretty good.  Not typical for this area.  Also have snow in the Sierra's.  We're headed up that way soon to check on the cabin and no, the chickens aren't going.


No comments:

Post a Comment