Sunday, October 21, 2012

October 21, 2012: All Quiet On The Chicken Front

It's just after 7:00am California time and the girls are still asleep.  I'm going to let them, as they are really talkative in the morning and just in case, I don't want to disturb our neighbors on a Sunday morning.  Now their dog, Doug, barks and whines the entire time they are gone from the house, but 2 wrongs don't make a right if you get my drift.

Taking Annie to church today for the blessing of the animals, and am taking pictures of Barbara and Annie too so they can get a blessing.  They are our pets with benefits and I love them.

Yesterday I picked up Mabel and checked her out.  She has yet to lay an egg and I was worried she could have one "stuck sideways".  I have read about this in my chicken books and it apparently is quite painful.  She did not appreciate my looking closely at her egg ejection area, and complained verbally.  Could see no sign of an egg, and decided not to glove up ( all you fellow chicken wranglers know what I mean).

Barbara continues to be a bully so I am instituting the old squirt bottle method of getting her to stop bugging Mabel.  Thankfully Barbara is not pecking at Mabel, just flapping her wings and body slamming her.

7:35 am and the soft cooing of the girls comes drifting through the dining room door.  Be right back.
7:41 am and the girls are up, out, with fresh water and some scratch which they love.  Checked the
nests, no eggs, freshened the roost area and helped them welcome the day. 

Those little girls sure brighten a morning.
Have a blessed day today dear readers.

No comments:

Post a Comment