Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Sept. 18, 2012: The Chicken Wrangler's Amazing Vacation.


I am back from an extraordinary week that is almost impossible to accurately describe.  So many mystical things happened.  I am still in awe.

As with my trip to the Sierra's last month,  I was visited by another Sandhill Crane.  He flew in right in front of our home's windows and stayed within our view for much of the entire week. sometimes standing on the edge of the bluff, with the ocean behind him for hours.  Neither the north coast nor the Sierras are typical habitat for these incredible birds.  He seemed to be looking in our windows right at me.  He even let me get fairly close to get his picture.  Cal read about what Cranes symbolize in the Asian Cultures,  and we were so filled with wonder.

 
On Monday, Sept. 10th I told my family I wished to go the the Sea Ranch Chapel on Sept. 11th to pray for those who lost their lives and for our Nation in the wake of  the latest atrocities perpetrated against America.  
 
The next morning we drove to the chapel, a special place for us, not only because it is a beautiful spiritual place, but also because we were married there.  We were alone in the small chapel.  We prayed silently, and aloud, and then I was moved to beginning the Star Spangled Banner.  We sang several patriotic songs and then heard sobbing outside the doors of the Chapel.  A woman peered in, clearly crying and upset.  We all cried as she described that she was a United Airlines flight attendant who lost two dear friends in the planes that went into the Twin Towers.  She had driven up the Coast to the Chapel, as it was a special place for her too.  She talked about her sorrow and the lingering pain of that day.  She described that when she heard us singing she knew this was where she needed to be, and that she was very moved by hearing us.  I think all of us were placed there to console and comfort each other.
 
 
The rest of the week included dozens of whale sightings which is typical for this time of year, but what was most wonderful was how close to the bluffs they were.  When standing on the bluff we could hear them sounding, that whoosh of breath from these magnificent creatures. 
 
On our last afternoon, I walked with  my dog out to the bluff, and asked God to see just one more whale.  As I began to walk home, I heard that sound again and turned to see a whale sounding right in front of me,  he sounded, submerged then rose and sounded again.  A breathtaking moment for me.
 
 
On Friday we went to the Sea Ranch Lodge for a cocktail.  Propped against the parking lot wall was a large watercolor painting.  We wondered if someone had brought it out from the galley inside and was waiting to load it in the car.  However, when we left a few hours later the painting was still there.  I took it inside to the Lodge Desk and explained that I had found it outside.  She thanked me profusely and we both wondered how someone could have forgotten this lovely watercolor. 
 
On Sunday we again visited the Lodge for a late lunch.  On leaving I stopped by the desk to see if the owner had been located.  To my surprise she told me that the owner had indeed been notified and that he related that he left the painting on purpose, as a gift for whomever found it.  Then she said that it now belonged to me and went to get it.  When she returned we told her that we had been married at the Chapel and had our wedding dinner there at the Lodge.  She stopped for a second and then said, well this painting was meant to be yours.  The painting is called:  The Wedding Party.
 
No chickens this week, but many blessings, breath-taking moments and reminders of God's Grace.
 
 
 







No comments:

Post a Comment