Friday, February 8, 2013

February 8, 2013: I Gave My Chickens Diarrhea

Most of you know that before I actually got the chickens, I read all about them, everything I could lay my hands on. 
I learned that Chickens do not make pee pee. 
Lots of people fear chickens.
Lots of people love chickens.
Roosters are aggressive by nature, to protect the hens.
Chickens live to be up to 15 years old.
It takes about 23 hours for a chicken to make an egg. 

I learned that you never give them apple seeds, avocado, or raw potato peels.
I learned how to deal with a hen who is egg bound, even if she actually isn't, and she ends up traumatized for several days cause I'm having trouble finding her vent.

I learned that they are very social, love to be petted and chatted up. 
And they are the closest living thing to dinosaurs.  Such interesting little creatures.

OK so Tuesday I wake up to chicken diarrhea.  Believe me, that is not a delight.  I waited a day thinking " maybe it will go away".  They were eating, drinking water, running around as usual.

Next day, still there.  I accused Cal of feeding them too many raisins.  Gotta blame someone, right?

My husband is a computer genius, and hit the computer.   He presented me with a document from a chicken website.  Guess what, Monday I gave the chickens some non-fat milk thinking then might need the protein.  Turns out they get diarrhea when you give them milk.   I had to eat a whole Crow, if you get my meaning. 

No comments:

Post a Comment