Friday, February 15, 2013

February 15, 2013: Chickens on the Roof!

It has been one busy week. Some surprises and some amazing discoveries.  What a week! 

Yesterday morning I entered the coop as usual to let the girls out, give them their scratch, and do some clean up.  While taking the sleeping bag/insulation off the roof, I discovered some chicken poop.  WTH?  How is that getting up there I asked myself. 

Today Cal went out to do the morning chores with the girls.  He called me to come see.  Mabel was on the roof of the coop looking at us.  That answered my question about how the poop got there.  I mentioned my find the day before, to Cal.  He shared with me that he had found some too a few days before, but thought I had thrown it up there.  WHAT!  Why would I do that? 

Anyway, turns out Mabel likes to spend time up there.  No idea why.  Maybe she likes some alone time away from the coop, or Barbara.  Remember when Cal got the scare of his life seeing her sliding down the roof of the coop.  Perhaps it some form of chicken sport, roof gliding.  Or protest, roof sitting.  I watched her nimbly walk down the slanted roof, jump/fly into the portable dust bath.  No fuss, no muss.  She had clearly been doing this routinely.  These girls are a laugh a minute.

The big discovery has to do with finding that apparently chicken feed is the universal pet food.  Not only do they love it, so does Annie.  Now found a neighborhood cat eating chicken feed I spilled on the patio outside the chicken yard.  I'm also guessing that the local fauna, such as mice, rats, perhaps an opossum or two, are also enjoying any spilled or scattered feed.  Universal pet food, yep.

So, after this very busy week, I'm laying on the bed this afternoon reading and playing Words With Friends.  I hear a tapping at the glass doors.  Looking up I see Cal with Barbara in his arms and he is making her wave at me by lifting her wing and gently flapping it.  My chicken is waving at me through the window, being held in the arms of my sweet Valentine, Cal.  This is the life!




No comments:

Post a Comment