Friday, December 7, 2012

December 7, 2012: Free the Chicken!

After several days of gloomy rainy, icky weather, today the sun rose in all it's glorious splendor..  Mabel and Barbara were up early and fairly dashed out of the coop when Cal let them out.  They could not get out of the coop fast enough and rush out onto what was the lawn.

They both had lots to say, chattering, cococoing, and occasional clucking.   It's s funny, only Mable clucks and when she does, it's a one note, loud and short. then she looks around to see "who did that".

They had visitors last night when David and Susan came over for dinner.  They were up  in their nesting area sleeping so cute all cozy together.  Then today when I my Mom came by for coffee and we went out to see them, they were in the back corner of the yard but came running, doing the poultry equivalent of the 50 yard dash.  Barbara was talking the whole time.  She loves to communicate.

So they got to spend all day out in the sun.  I think they wore themselves out, cause I went out at 4:30pm to check on them,  it was still very light out, but Mabel was climbing the ramp up to the nest already and Barbara, with the help of a yellow cherry tomato I coaxed her with, readily went into the coop.  I swear they must have played all day. 

We also picked them up and fuzzled them both today. One or both of us try to pick up , hold and pet and talk to the girls at least once a day.  Remember, Zahra calls this fuzzeling and that word fits perfectly.

When I was holding Mabel, I made the cocococo sound and her little ears perked up.  I have no idea what I was saying in chicken speak, but she clearly found it fascinating.  They probably get their little chicken heads together at night and talk about their crazy Mom.  Like the French, my pronunciation will never make the grade.  They laugh at my accent, I know it.  It's OK, they give me a lot of joy. Watching them and listening to them makes me laugh too.

No comments:

Post a Comment