Monday, December 3, 2012

December 3, 2012: HAPPY HENS!

The girls were so happy to see the sun today. ( me too)  Our yard is a muddy mess, but they still wanted out of the coop to slog around. After they got their scratch and cracked corn, they ran like the wind out onto what used to be the lawn, now mud.  Later they found a corner next to the house and have been nestling down, scratching around and dust bathing.  It is so funny to watch them jockeying for the best spot. Just like two little kids.  Mable has come into her own and doesn't take any crap from Barbara anymore.

Hurt my back a few days ago, and can't go out and play with them so...... they gather at the slider window in my bedroom waiting and watching for Mommy. 

My Mom came by today to check on me as Cal was volunteering at the Salvation Army.  He helps residents at The Depot, a residential treatment program for drug/alcohol abusers, every Monday, learn the computer, how to write resumes', etc.   She got to watch me throw grapes to the girls.  They are nuts about grapes.

I saw an interesting thing today while lying in bed.  Barbara and Mable have identified the plastic box where we keep their food.  First Barbara trotted up to it, looked long and hard ( you can see through it).  Then she stood on her tippy toes and examined more closely.  Mable came running over, as if summoned.  I am sure they were plotting how to get it down and open it up.  Their little chicken heads were together and it looked like they were hatching a plan. ( pardon the pun ).  They also kept watching over their shoulders to see if anyone was watching.  When I tapped on the window, they  scattered in different directions.  I'm telling ya, they are planning something.  I'm sure of it.

Looks like more rain coming, so Cal re -wrapped our charming little coop back in it's hillbilly wrapper,replaced the pumpkin, etc. to hold it down in case of big wind.  It looks awful, but does the trick.

I think tomorrow I'll be able to get up and about longer and finish the Christmas Decorating.  Cal did the front yard and porch today, under my watchful eye.  It looks so pretty. 





No comments:

Post a Comment