Tuesday, December 4, 2012

December 4, 2012: Chicken Wrangler Whines

Today I'm gonna whine for a minute.  Why, cause I learned it from my Mom.  Mom is 85 years old and healthy as a horse.  She will probably outlive both twin sister and I.  We are stove up, as they say, from time to time. 

Last Thursday I twisted my back trying not to step on my dog who ran in front of me, and whammo, back killing me.  Tried to power through it, no go.  Gave in on Friday and went to bed with ice. Oh whaa whaa whaa.  In the greater scheme of things this was nothing.  So many are suffering real pain, sickness and trauma, my little back thing was nothing.

I complained a little bit, mostly laid quietly in bed, asked for help from time to time from Cal.  Prayed for healing for me and all those I know who are suffering. 

Two things come to mind:  As an RN, I learned that I was not really sick  unless I had a temp. over 101 degrees, or was bleeding from unexpected place.  I learned to ignore my own body. 

Second, I grew up with a Mom who complained a lot about every ache and pain, still does.  Unfortunately she complained so much and for so long, that it is hard to know when she really needs help. It's like the little boy who cried wolf.  At 85 she has the right to complain, but what for? 

I hope and pray that if and when I reach her age I have something other to talk about then what hurts, or what TV show I am watching. I love my Mom.  My sister and I are constantly trying to get her to get out of the house.  We have tried to make her feel better for 65 years.  Only she can accomplish that.

What a conundrum.  First, I learn to ignore my own bodies signals, and I hear my Mom complain about every ache and pain.  Think there's a psychological implication there?  Oh Yeah!

I think boredom leads to over concern with oneself.  It stunts conversation when one does not get out and interact with the universe.  But my Mom is living the life she wants.  She is healthy and strong, and locked into her habits like concrete.  So....whine whine whine.  And God bless her, and Karen and I.

Chickens never whine, they only complain when they want more scratch.  They are constantly busy and interested in their environment, and they know when to rest, when they need a dust bath and how to take care of themselves.   Chickens don't whine. 

No comments:

Post a Comment