Monday, January 21, 2013

January 21, 2013: Getting Used to the Chicken Yard

Cal and I completed the Chicken Yard late last week, and moved the coop and the girls into it.  We also added a dust bath, and a nice blue tarp to cover the whole yard to keep out the rain and wind.

Do the chickens like and appreciate our efforts:  Hell NO!  They want out, Right Now!  Frankly they are ingrates, but also adorable.  Kind of like children.  I will post a picture of the chicken yard here if I can or on my Facebook page.  It is so nice that we could close it in, add a recliner, TV, small fridge. and carpeting, and it could be Cal's Man Cave.

I am proud of us.  It truly is the Taj Mahal of chicken yards.  My sister walked by yesterday and said she could here the girls chortling and cocococoing happily in there.

The other reason I am so happy to have this done, is that we can now leave for more than 3 days, and they have plenty of room to run around.  It is safer and more secure than the chicken patio Cal built when we first got them.  Case in point; at 2:20am we were awakened by a cat howling right outside our bedroom slider.  Damn cat.  I love them, but I will not let them intimidate the chickens.  So Cal ran, turned off the alarm while I let Annie out to run that cat off, which she did immediately.  Not a peep was heard from the chickens.  Pardon the pun.  They were safely ensconced in their nest, inside their coop in there completely enclosed chicken yard.  Take that neighborhood predators!

The truth be told, I think Barbara could take any cat around.  She is huge, and fearless.  When she runs at you, believe me, I get a momentary feeling of anxiety, until I remember that I could drop kick her over the fence if need be. I would never ever do that, but it is good to know I could if she got hinky.
We are now getting 2 eggs a day most days.  They are beautiful.  Thanks girls.

No comments:

Post a Comment