Wednesday, March 27, 2013

March 27. 2013: Dinosaurs in the yard!

Have you ever seen a chicken, not just walk around, but full on run.  If you haven't, rent Jurassic park and watch the veloceraptors.  It is freakishly similar to the way Mabel and Barbara run. 
Yesterday afternoon Cal and I were taking our almost daily nap, when it wounded like dinosaurs were running across the deck outside the bedroom.  I mean they were loud, especially on the wooden deck.

They came pounding from the east side of the yard heading west.  I thought maybe a cat was in the yard again.  So I leaped up, opened the sliding door and ran out to protect my baby girls.  Annie even came out to help.  Nothing!  No cat, no marauding creature of any kind.  WTH? I was just dozing off you little running rats.

All of a sudden they came running again, Barbara in the lead, with Mabel right behind her, around the lawn, past the hedges and BAM up on the wooden deck again, which I kid you not sounds like a lot of something heavy.  Still no sign of threat. 

When they did this a third time, I finally figured out they were playing a game, perhaps chicken tag, and just having a ball.  I wanted to be annoyed, but I can't be when I see those mini-dinosaurs running around playing. 

It is still a little off- putting when they come running at you, with those chicken eyes, until I remember that I could probably drop kick one of them over the fence.....not that I ever would, but it supports my illusion that I am in charge. 

Having chickens is the funnest thing I have done in a long time.  Comedians of the barnyard, that's what they are.  

No comments:

Post a Comment